Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Why would you want to do that?

There's been a lot of changes in the lives of people around me lately. An engagement, pregnancy, and a birth have been the latest news in just a few months ( and these are three different couples!) It makes me wonder where my life is headed. Now before you get worried, I'm nowhere even close to considering the three mentioned life-altering things! However, being in college, I have a feeling that I should start considering what exactly I want to do professionally, and have a solid reason to back it up.



Right now when people ask me why in the world I would want to be a math major, I respond with,"To be a high school teacher". Most just accept this answer and move on, but some keep on asking, "Why?" I have no real answer to this. I usually just shrug my shoulders, smile, and say "just because". Honestly though, I don't know why I want to be a math teacher! It's just a hunch. Ok maybe more than a hunch, but I think it'd be a bit much to describe it as a calling. It's just what I want to do. I think.

What really got me was seeing my friend, who is the same age as me, and her newborn baby tonight. I realized that I have nearly all the freedom and ability to do whatever I want to with my life, while she will have to consider how her decision will affect her family. I feel almost wasteful not knowing what to do with the freedoms, advantages, and skills I have.

1 comment:

  1. You my dear are doing exactly what you should be doing - figuring it out. Because you're right. Right now, you're options are wide open. You could do pretty much anything you put your mind to, but what is it that you like to do? That's what you should do. I remember seeing all my friends travelling abroad, thinking of med school or law school, but I didn't really want to do that. Then I wrestled with the thought that I was wasting so much. But you can't do things just because you're able. You have to start doing things for yourself. And in my experience, I'm one of the hardest people for me to please.

    Good luck sis! Take time over the holidays and just relax. You'll be surprised how quickly your priorities become evident when you have time to choose what you do.

    ReplyDelete